I have a thing for potato salad; maybe its because potatoes are in my “German: blood; I mean we Germans grow up on potatoes and eat them pretty much every day in some form or fashion. There is though one caveat to my potato love: I like everything potato just not potato salad with mayo – yuck – but potato salad with oil and vinegar – yummy! Now I am sitting on my couch fat and happy after having my friends Allison, Cara and Georgann over for brunch. You know how when you get older you always wonder how fast time goes by? Allison and I realized today that we know each other now for 19 years – that’s jut crazy! I barely feel 19, how can I know someone for almost 20 years and both of us will be married 10 years next year! Where did the time just go? It was great catching up with my friends, and hopefully we will get together soon and visit Georgann her husband Collin and the Greek goddess chickens in Eugene/Oregon. On to the recipe: this potato salad was really delectable, just right for a hot day to have something zesty but not too hot and heavy for brunch. You can make this salad ahead of time, just double the vinaigrette and keep half back for the next day in case the potato salad soaked it all up and you need to add a little bit more vinaigrette prior to serving. On the brunch menu were listed: Bellinis, French Toast Muffins, Chocolate Bundt Cake, Bacon, Mini Bagels with garlic cream cheese, fruit parfaits, hash brown/egg nests and fingerling potato salad.
Fingerling Potato Salad (adapted from La Terrine Gourmands) – serves 4
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas (boiled for 3 minutes)
- 1 1/2 pound fingerling potatoes, cooked for 25 minutes, peeled and cut into medium thick slices
- 4 radishes, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Sea Salts and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard (I don’t like Dijon and use spicy German or Chinese mustard)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- For the Vinaigrette combine the ingredients in the order listed and whisk together to emulsify. Set aside.
- For the salad, combine the potatoes, onion, peas, eggs and radishes. Dress with the vinaigrette, herbs and pine nuts and season with salt and pepper. Toss well and serve.